Nirbhaya’s India – Foreword

4.45am Singapore time. She died.

Yes she died. Really died. Finally.

And it was 2.15am here, but India cried.

The news, this one time was nightly.

For twenty six nights, not days thirteen,

She fought and still stayed composed

Psychiatrically. Her face that reposed

Faith in protestors remained unseen;

The face unseen, the woman nameless,

From some village, a bus traveller so less

Privileged than the ruling or moneyed,

Was enough to get India up and frenzied.

So my two-bit mind for all its confusion, is clear about

The fact that the rape was but a spark, to begin the rout.

But now the incident like a story,

Is through with its climaxing parts.

And Nirbhaya though an allegory,

With rapes-and-women-safety starts.

But when traced to deeper causes,

Raises questions that progressively

Culminate to answers regressively,

Beyond admin and judicial clauses.

On one side a societal unrest of classes;

A ‘lower’ man prevails on citied classes,

Through the biological force of rape,

Which becomes easy in a state with this inscape,

Where self-seeking representatives thrive on anarchy,

Promote class and caste divide, and rule as a squirarchy.

A telling statement from her grandmother:

‘They left this village for a better life.

Look what they’ve got’ sums up the bother.

When cities and villages blur the line,

While the economic disparity is stark,

Either by encroaching into rural hinterland,

To further the ill feeling in the depraved band,

Or when villagers move citywards to hark

Opportunity, but end up courting poverty.

And with the sleaze, the slums; still the anticity

Is lost among fellow strugglers and comes too late,

Till finally too fat a price has been mortally paid.

For sixty-five years, plaster peeling slums have gaped in this

cursed nation,

From small dwellings, at long limousines, gliding into their plush

zonation.

But to say it isn’t about women is silly

For that’s like saying for civilization

That it isn’t about being civilized really.

Further, blood rushes at the abomination

When someone vulnerable, delicate and lovable

Is brutalized, vandalized and desecrated

By some ruffians, who’re like animals created

To fill their base instincts go to lengths deplorable

And when the shock, ours and theirs

Is mutually so confounding that it stares

Then it’s clear we belong to different planets

To different worlds, to completely different sets

Proving that the way women are treated is a telling effect

Of hopeless root causes infesting a country wrecked.

So three sets of fourteen lines cover each day

From June 17th till December 31st 2012,

To show who’s the hunter, and who the prey,

Candidly reporting not intending to helve.

Going purely by newspapers, equally unfearing,

And of course by the cursed age and sentiment,

That prevails pending verifiable judgement,

Quite conscious it may well not be endearing.

Sure, rile and invectives illustrate the defeature,

But times as abusive, merit abusive literature.

So in this emotive veracity are pre election verses,

That double as a chronicle of an age full of curses.

But those blanks, if you find them obscenely hued,

It’s not my mischief; it’s your mind that’s scre_ed!

For the hitch is with our memory first;

We forget so soon, what all they did.

Then our forbearing makes it worse,

So even slaughter they get away with.

Though high maintenance and cumbersome

They are, to fathom, to know, or follow,

Thriving on ‘one more time’ that they borrow,

Yet portentously they beat their drum.

But now we won’t be duped dear reader,

Even if projected’s a holier-than-thou leader.

Now with folded hands when they scrounge for votes,

These chronicles will then come handy folks.

For us I’ve recorded in dates and verses,

So we’ll laugh and know who to bless with curses.

Advertisements

26 responses

1. Hey the poet of this poem. I like to say that everyone who will know that dreaded will feel bad and low. But I am still disappointed that the reasons that causes this heinous act are developing others. The sensitivity and chalta hai attitude of India got another step that day because nothing constructive happened. And, arresting the first hand criminals are not satisfactory.

2. Hey (the poet of this poem). I like to say that everyone who will know about that dreaded day will feel bad and low. But I am still disappointed that the reasons that causes this heinous act are developing others ones. The sensitivity and chalta hai attitude of India got another step that day because nothing constructive happened. And, arresting the first hand criminals are not satisfactory. Please share your point

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi Anant,

Sorry about the late reply – just coming to grips with wordpress – am new here!
      Yes, I share your disappointment. I believe Nirbhaya came to symbolize the apathy the ‘ruled’ suffer from at the hands of the political class and their cronies – the businessmen. When the British left, we replaced the white sahibs with brown sahibs who proceeded to look after each other. This mare which is fed on just money, cares two hoots for its social obligations. The rich – poor divide, for 65 years had become a cliche, but is now being energized as the ‘educated’ class, an indignant class has started taking to the streets on anything that symbolizes blatant crony capitalism – funnily that includes Nirbhaya. And so now we are on the threshold of a fight for a second azaadi, this time from a class that is worse than the British rule on many counts.

Do read on. I post 3 sonnets for each day, each day, starting from 17th June last year, when the collapse started become hugely noticeable and finally spilt on the streets in protests that had the political class foxed. How on earth, can a protest happen without youth wings of political parties. But it did. And it will.

2. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi, my blog is up again. Thought I will let you know. WordPress had deactivated it by mistake.

3. The poem portrays Nirbhaya’s agony as well as Social apathy. However mere expression of agony is not going to heal. Our media is full with stories of child rapes. Unless we give spot punishments the brutes will not stop. There is no human justification that offenders against children should be allowed to live in society. Going further a child is incapable of influencing the evidence against the offender. Thus the direct evidence available at the site of offence should be adequate to punish the offender. It is the defending lawyers who complicate, delay and finally let the offenders escape since they make hefty fees.

Persons charged with rape against a child MUST be given Death within a period of 30 days. They may get right to appeal once but the appeal must be decided within a week. There should be no mercy plea.

Chand K Sharma

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi, Thanks for dropping by and commenting and sharing your views. From June 17th last year, I have written 3 sonnets for each day, chronicling the times. Do read, if you can. Look forward to your comments. This is what helps create a flood of opinion that cannot be ignored

1. Please keep mailing your compositions as soon as you publish. Thanks.

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi,
          I post every day – three sonnets every day for each day of last year coinciding with ‘today’. So tomorrow is 20th June 2013 and so I will post 3 sonnets showing Nirbhaya’s India on 20th June 2012.
          If you press the follow button, you will be automatically updated.
          Many thanks for choosing to read and write back. I really value it. Thanks a lot.

4. I hope you and your generation will make a difference and that India will be a better place – especially for women and children.

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

It’s a young country aged 65 and the youth are growing but many are vagrant. Civilisation is creeping in slowly but gets muddled on the way by crony capitalism. They give small sops as bribe to the electorate so that they can plunder in heaps. It’s gone on too long and too far and so it is bound to change. I really value your comments and wishes

2. nirbhayasindia | Reply

My blog is up again. WordPress had deactivated it by mistake. Thought I will let you know.

5. Thank you for visiting me at http://ja2da.com
    David

1. Her face is still showing signs of mistrust on our government and slow moving judicial system. The rapists are still living and the main culprit is out of the reach of law being a ‘juvenile’ – supposed to be an innocent.

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Yes it is sad. In India, a past issue gets forgotten because it gets buried under the next dirty headline. That’s why I wrote Nibhaya’s India. Hope you like it

2. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi, my blog is up again. Thought I will let you know. By mistake, wordpress had deactivated it.

2. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Oh I enjoyed it. Thanks for being around.

3. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi, my blog is up again, thought I will let you know. By mistake, wordpress had deactivated it.

6. Immensely moving and very powerful.
    AnElephant weeps for Nirbhaya and for India.

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Thank you for reading, for the comments and above all, the support

2. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Hi, my blog is up again, thought I will let you know. By mistake wordpress had deactivated it.

7. This article is top-notch. Your points are presented with intelligent and thoughtful content. Your contribution to this subject matter is more interesting than what I have found in other articles.

8. Thought provoking post. I respect your sentiments and appreciate your effort to spread the awareness.

Good wishes!

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

9. Thanks so much for writing Nirbhayasindia, the cause you’re championing is certainly worth it – the difference it could make is tremendous. I look forward to following your writing.

1. nirbhayasindia | Reply

Thank you for your warm comments and encouragement. It means the world to me